Saturday, February 16, 2008

Heartbeat

*6 weeks, 4days*

Yesterday we passed another hurdle - we saw the baby's heartbeat AND the baby! It was the coolest thing! The baby looks like a little blob, but you can totally see that it's there now! The ultrasound (u/s) tech said everything's measuring as it should, and from the picture, you can definitely tell the sac is growing. The heartbeat was just a little flicker on the screen, but it was clear as day. The u/s tech said that usually it should be 100bpm, and it was "in the 90s" which she said was fine for six and a half weeks. She didn't see concerned, so I'm not letting myself be concerned. We go back on Wednesday for another ultrasound, so hopefully the heartbeat will be even stronger.

Click on image to enlarge

I asked my nurse Gabby how long they keep me for monitoring before releasing me to my OBGYN, and she said until 8 weeks. 8 weeks seems so SOON! I signed paperwork for them to send my records to the OBGYN I was seeing before the IVF started, Dr. Carroll, but now I'm not so sure. I like that it's easy to get in to see him because he keeps a small practice, but what happens when it's time for me to deliver or he needs to take a vacation the week I'm due?? I guess I need to research my options, and make a decision FAST!

I think Ben and I have decided that we're going to share our news with the world (or at least our friends and extended family) around 8 weeks. Thank goodness, because I really didn't think I could make it to 12 weeks with everyone asking questions and knowing what's been going on. I hate lying to people, especially about this. When parent's on my caseload ask if I have kids, I hate saying "we're trying" - NO, WE'RE NOT TRYING, I'M PREGNANT!!! It's so frustrating. And I really hate lying to my co-workers and my closest girlfriends. It's killing me!

No comments: