Wednesday, August 23, 2017

kindergarten, round two

dear Emily,


today we took noah to his first day of 3rd grade, and then dropped off your supplies in mrs. S's room. we found your hook and cubby and took a picture of the spot you'll hang your backpack.


tomorrow is all about you. it's so much easier this time around... I was thinking it was because you know sandburg. you know mrs. s and mr. bacon, you know the office ladies and the librarian. you pretty much know your way around. you have friends your age and older, and *I* have friends too. sandburg is so comfortable to us now, and it makes you starting kindergarten feel so much easier.


but the more I think about it, the more I realize it's actually easier this time around because of the person you are. even though you can be shy and reserved when you first meet people, I know that you you are strong and brave. you are kind and smart. you are funny and eager to learn. I know you will find your way, and it won't take too long for you to get in the groove.


you have been SO excited about kindergarten, counting the months, weeks, days.... and now it's here. I know you will do amazing. you are such a good girl. you care about other people. you will be a helped. and you told me today that you are most looking forward to learning math.


my beautiful girl... daddy and I love you more than I know the words to tell you. your eyes and your smile make me feel like I'm doing a pretty good job at being your mom. your passion let's me know that you care, even when you become frustrated or angry, I know it's because you have something in your mind or heart that you're having a hard time conveying.


my job as your mom is to take care of you and protect you, but now it's time for me to step back and give you a little bit of space to explore the world and find your way. I am so grateful that you are so excited for school, excited to learn, and excited to finally go to school with your big brother. you, noah and henry are my greatest joys, and even when being an adult is hard, I love you so deeply, with every bit of my being, and I will until the end of time.


mommy loves you so much Emily, and I can't wait to watch you continue to grow up and see what amazing things you do.


happy first day of kindergarten!
love, mom

No comments: